Friday, November 4, 2011

Counting down to Hugo the movie

Brian Selznick is one of my favorite authors.His stories transport readers to another place with both words and images in such a unique way that for me he is in a class by himself. I have met him two times at ALA Annual conferences and he was gracious, funny, and took time to chat with each person whose book he was signing despite the gianormous line.

me, Selznick, my sis

Check out the fantastic shoes he was wearing this year while signing Wonderstruck
The Invention of Hugo Cabret is one of the books on my go-to "gift list"and I added Wonderstruck this summer. I picked it up as soon as I got home from New Orleans this year and stayed up all night reading it. I loved that one story was told through text and the other via graphic illustrations; it made for a very different kind of read. The book flowed so nicely, in spite of the different mediums, and I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out how the two characters would meet.  I also liked that two of the characters were deaf, I'm such an advocate of diversity in literature. This was the the second book I read this year with deaf protaganists that was fantastic (check out Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony Green).
While I wait patiently for "Hugo" to hit the big screen (19 more days--right??), I will just have to watch the trailer in repeat. It will definitely be the movie I go see on Thanksgiving this year.

0 Comments: