Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Song books at Storytime

Earlier this year I attended an InfoPeople training with Colleen Willis, a Children's Librarian at Anaheim Public Library called "Clap! Shake! Play! Sing!" about using music to enhance and encourage emergent literacy in storytimes. While I always have playlists on my ipod for storytime, I have not used many song books. However, since that workshop I have made a dilligent effort to try one every few weeks. Last week during my two preschool storytimes and three toddler storytimes  I read/sang Cows in the Kitchen by June Crebbin. It was so much fun and even my teen moms started singing a little as they got the hang of the rhythm.

This is an awesome choice for dialogic reading because there is so much happening on each page. One observant girl saw the mouse hiding on each page which was awesome because I missed it! You can have all the children and parents make the animal noises to work on phonological awareness as well. The repetition was perfect for the younger ones, and the older kids thought the farmer was so silly.  To add another element to the story I purchased the felt version from Art Felt. Anytime I can make a book more interactive, especially with my preschoolers at the shelter, I go for it. It not only gets them excited about the story, but it turns reading into a fun activity which means I have their attention for a few minutes longer than I normally would.

0 Comments: