Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Author not to miss: Jenny Downham

I have clearly been sleeping on British author Jenny Downham. I picked up You Against Me based purely on the stunning cover and then I could not put it down. Check out this cover...does it not pull you in?!

Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her, and of course things quickly go from bad to worse in his life. His mum can't cope, his sister won't leave the house, and his youngest sister is trapped in the middle.

Ellie's brother is accused of rape and suddenly nothing is the same. Her parents are going mad trying to prove his innocence and Ellie's left with a massive amount of emotions to try to sort out on her own.

Mikey and Ellie meet and their story is one of loyalty,  fear, loss, betrayal, and love.

This was an amazing novel and even though I had to look up some of the British word choices I loved it. Now I can't wait to read the author's other YA book Before I Die.

1 Comment:

Angela said...

I loved BEFORE I DIE - first listened to it as an audio book and loved it so much I ordered a hard copy before I was even finsihed with the audio...then I insisted my book club read it...such beautiful writing and a very emotional read. You Against Me sounds amazing and intense!